- Sustainability Report
- Our Clean Energy Portfolio
- Selling Power to the Utility
- Grid Modernization Technologies
- Integrated Grid Planning
- Integration Tools and Resources
Integrated Grid Planning
Planning Hawaii's Grid for Future Generations
With a renewed focus on comprehensive energy planning, Hawaiian Electric proposed an Integrated Grid Planning ("IGP") process that we believe will benefit customers by identifying the best options to affordably move Hawaii toward a reliable, resilient clean energy future with minimal risk. In addition, we believe the State will benefit from expanded market opportunities for resource, grid services, and non-wires alternatives for transmission and distribution ("T&D"), which can foster innovative solutions for a new energy economy.
Hawaiian Electric believes the IGP process must be customer-centric and engage stakeholders to broadly represent the interests of Hawaii's various communities. This involves actively engaging customers and communities throughout this process to ensure balanced representation. Transparency and effective stakeholder engagement are key success factors for IGP.
Stakeholder Engagement Documents
The overall IGP stakeholder engagement model provides a robust framework that enables the company to engage with stakeholders and customers to gather their input and feedback throughout the IGP process and leverage global insights on emerging best planning practices in a systematic manner. For more information view our Stakeholder Engagement page. Working Groups are also part of our Stakeholder Engagement and are covered in the next section.
Working Groups Documents
Access the documents from past Working Group meetings. Visit the Working Groups page to view more information on this engagment process.
Updated Competitive Bidding Framework
April 26, 2021
On April 21, 2021, the Commission issued Order No. 37740 establishing a procedural schedule to review the updated Competitive Bidding Framework filed by the Companies, and instructed the Parties to provide their comments by the noted deadlines.
|Procedural Step||Deadline Date|
|Consumer Advocate’s and Intervenors' Comments on the Updated Framework||May 18, 2021|
|Hawaiian Electric’s Reply Comments||May 27, 2021|
Integrated Grid Planning Documents
- March 4, 2021 – IGP Stakeholder Feedback Summary (PDF)
- January 19, 2021 – IGP Workplan Update and Review Point (PDF)
- May 27, 2020 – IGP Workplan and Schedule Update (PDF)
- July 31, 2019 - Review Points Proposal (PDF)
- December 14, 2018 - Integrated Grid Planning Workplan (PDF)
- July 13, 2018 - Integrated Grid Planning Report filed in Docket No. 2018-0165 (PDF)
- March 01, 2018 - Integrated Grid Planning Report (PDF)
Hawaii Public Utilities Commission Orders
- Order No. 37730: Directing HECO to File Revised Forecast and Assumption (Docket No. 2018-0165, April 14, 2021) (PDF)
- Order No. 37604: Establishing a Procedural Schedule for the First Review Point (Docket No. 2018-0165, February 4, 2021) (PDF)
- Order No. 37419: Providing Guidance on the Integrated Grid Planning Process (Docket No. 2018-0165, November 5, 2020) (PDF)
- Order No. 36725: Providing Guidance on the Integrated Grid Planning Process (Docket No. 2018-0165, November 4, 2019) (PDF)
- Order No. 36218, Accepting the IGP Workplan and Providing Guidance (Docket No. 2018-0165, March 14, 2019) (PDF)
- Order No. 35569, Instituting a Proceeding to Investigate the Integrated Grid Planning (IGP) process (Docket No. 2018-0165, July 12, 2018) (PDF)
- Order No. 34773, Opening a docket to serve as a repository for the GMS and any related filings/public comments (Docket No. 2017-0226, August 29, 2017) (PDF)
- Order No. 34696, Instituting a Proceeding to Review the Power Supply Improvement Plans for the Hawaiian Electric Companies (Docket No. 2014-0183, July 14, 2017) (PDF)
Integrated Grid Planning Contact Information
Email us at IGP@hawaiianelectric.com.