Selling Power to the Utility
- Sustainability Report & Maps
- Our Clean Energy Portfolio
- Community Meetings
- Selling Power to the Utility
- Grid Modernization Technologies
- Integrated Grid Planning
- Integration Tools and Resources
Email us with any questions regarding the CBRE RFPs.
Competitive Bidding for System Resources
Information on active Hawaiian Electric Requests for Proposals (RFPs) can be found using the drop down menus below:
Our Interconnection Process
Hawaii is integrating unprecedented amounts of wind, solar and other renewable generation into the electrical grid. Information on the interconnection process for the Stage 3 RFP's for Oahu, Hawaii Island and Maui County can be found at the below link.
- February 2, 2024: Hawaiian Electric announces Firm project selected in the Stage 3 RFPs for Maui Island
- December 8, 2023: Hawaiian Electric announces the projects selected in the Stage 3 RFPs for Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii Island
- March 1, 2023: Hawaiian Electric announces five shared solar projects on Oahu and Hawaii Island
- Jan. 23, 2023: Hawaiian Electric issues call for projects to significantly expand renewable energy generation on Oahu, Maui
- Jan. 12, 2023: Hawaii’s first two community-owned and -designed solar projects coming to Molokai
- Nov. 22, 2022: Hawaiian Electric announces 7 solar projects to benefit low-and-moderate income customers on Oahu, Hawaii Island and Maui
- July 25, 2022: Hawaiian Electric begins negotiations with new developer of Lanai solar project
- May 4, 2022: Hawaiian Electric launches major push for next stage of renewable energy generation projects for Oahu, Maui
- April 28, 2022: Hawaiian Electric selects developer for largest utility-scale solar project, first shared solar program on Lanai
- March 22, 2022: Shared solar project proposals sought to benefit low-, moderate-income customers on Oahu, Maui, Hawaii Island
IGP Future Procurement Update
September 20, 2023
On September 19, 2023, Hawaiian Electric informed the Commission of necessary changes to the timing of the future Integrated Grid Plan Request for Proposals (“IGP RFP”) contemplated for 2024. The Companies have decided to delay the IGP RFP schedule by approximately six months with the intent to file the draft IGP RFP with the PUC in approximately April 2024 and issue the final IGP RFP by late September 2024.
Request for Information for IGP Future Procurement - Update
June 30, 2023
On June 16, 2023, Hawaiian Electric issued a Request for Information (“RFI”) for potential renewable energy or storage projects on Oahu, Maui, or Hawaii Island that could be submitted to an RFP in 2024. Responses to this RFI will guide Hawaiian Electric’s future resource planning and procurement for grid-scale renewable energy systems and may be used by the Companies in determining what area(s) should be focused on for future transmission upgrades, including new interconnection facilities.
The Companies appreciate the responses received to date and are extending the period of time for stakeholders to submit responses to the RFI in hopes of receiving a wide array of responses. Interested parties are requested to complete the Project Questionnaire (see Appendix A) and submit to Hawaiian Electric by August 11, 2023.
Request for Information for IGP Future Procurement
June 16, 2023
Hawaiian Electric is seeking feedback through a Request for Information (“RFI”) regarding potential renewable energy or storage projects on Oahu, Maui, or Hawaii Island that could be submitted to an RFP in 2024.
Project developers are encouraged to submit comprehensive responses to this request as the information obtained from responses may assist in the development of the Company’s drafting and issuance of a future RFP to meet energy needs on Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii Island, as set forth in the Integrated Grid Plan. The Company’s Integrated Grid Plan has identified the need for a wide variety of generation and storage projects to swiftly decarbonize the electric grid and manage risks to affordability, resilience and reliability.
To create a viable energy marketplace, the Company will need to routinely conduct procurements and adjust program and pricing mechanisms, in a similar but more efficient manner to the procurement activities since 2017. The Company is seeking a wide variety of feedback on potential project development, the procurement process, interconnection, and transmission capacity. Responses to this RFI will guide Hawaiian Electric’s future resource planning and procurement for grid-scale renewable energy systems and may be used by the Company in determining what area(s) should be focused on for future transmission or subtransmission upgrades, including new interconnection facilities.
Interested parties are requested to complete the Project Questionnaire (see Appendix A) and submit to Hawaiian Electric by July 28, 2023. If additional information or clarification regarding the RFI, or the RFI process outlined in the document, is required, questions may be submitted to email@example.com.