Integrated Grid Planning
- Sustainability Report
- Our Clean Energy Portfolio
- Selling Power to the Utility
- Grid Modernization Technologies
- Integrated Grid Planning
- Integration Tools and Resources
2016 Power Supply Improvement Plan
The Power Supply Improvement Plan (PSIP) was issued in 2016 to detail the specific near-term actions Hawaiian Electric planned to take to accelerate the transition to 100 percent renewable energy by 2045.
Developed in the mid-2010s, some of the forecasts, based on assumptions about the direction of technology, pricing and public policy, did not follow the expected timelines. But even though some of its forecasts were imperfect, the PSIP remains an important document that provides a strong foundation for Integrated Grid Planning in the 2020s and beyond.
While technology is dynamic, most of the principles and priorities described in the PSIP remain constant and focused on providing the best outcomes for customers and the most effective strategies for slowing climate change.
The PSIP posted here has not been updated since it was first released and should be read with an understanding of changes in the renewable energy planning environment since 2016, including evolving public policy on the state and federal levels and increasing emphasis on community engagement.
Some of the actions described in the PSIP Executive Summary include:
- Exceed Hawaii's 2020 Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) of 30%. (This was achieved with a 2020 RPS of 35%).
- Maximize distributed energy resources—fairly compensated
- Make high use of demand response programs.
- Aggressively seek grid-scale renewable resources, leveraging federal tax credits.
- Pursue grid modernization to enable continued integration of renewable energy.
- Preserve long-term flexibility to use emerging technologies and accommodate changing circumstances.
- Reduce operations that use fossil fuels and contribute to global warming
- Renewable Energy Planning Principles (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Executive Summary (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 1 (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 2 (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 3 (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 4 (PDF)