Integrated Grid Planning
- Sustainability Report
- Our Clean Energy Portfolio
- Selling Power to the Utility
- Integration Tools and Resources
- Grid Modernization Technologies
- Integrated Grid Planning
Power Supply Improvement Plan
Our Plans for the Future
Hawaiian Electric's 2016 Power Supply Improvement Plan (PSIP) outlines a detailed plan charting the specific actions up to the year 2021 to accelerate the achievement of Hawaii's 100 percent Renewable Portfolio Standard by 2045.
The Power Supply Improvement Plan (PSIP) places greatest emphasis on the near-term actions that allow us to make strong progress on achieving our clean energy goals. These action plans take advantage of available resources, respond to customer preferences, reduce our dependence on oil and its price uncertainty as quickly as possible, while preserving our flexibility over the longer-term to address changing circumstances, to take advantage of new opportunities that may arise, and to explore emerging technologies.
The Action Plans, described in the PSIP: Executive Summary, include:
- Exceed Hawaii's 2020 Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) and achieve a consolidated RPS of 52% over the next five years.
- Enable Molokai to achieve 100% renewable energy by 2020.
- Maximize distributed energy resources—fairly compensated
- Make high use of demand response programs.
- Aggressively seek grid-scale renewable resources, leveraging federal tax credits.
- Pursue grid modernization to enable continued integration of renewable energy.
- Preserve long-term flexibility to use emerging technologies and accommodate changing circumstances.
- Reduce operations that use fossil fuels and contribute to global warming
In order to achieve a 52 percent RPS by 2021, additions to renewable energy generation and customer demand response must be made. Below is a breakdown of the additions in our proposed near-term action plans:
|Oahu||255.1 MW DG PV|
|23.8 MW FIT|
|88.8 MW DR|
|352.2 MW Grid Scale PV|
|64 MW Grid Scale Wind|
|Maui||38.4 MW DG PV|
|1.0 MW FIT|
|14.7 MW DR|
|6.7 MW Grid Scale PV|
|62 MW Grid Scale Wind|
|Molokai||1.4 MW DG PV|
|0.3 MW DR|
|5 MW Grid Scale Wind|
|ICEs to Biofuels|
|Lanai||0.7 MW DG PV|
|0.3 MW DR|
|4 MW Grid Scale Wind|
|Hawaii||30.3 MW DG PV|
|5.7 MW FIT|
|10.6 MW DR|
|1 MW Grid Scale PV|
|22 MW Grid Scale Wind|
- 326 MW DG PV
- 31 MW FIT
- 114.7 MW DR
- 360 MW Grid Scale PV
- 157 MW Grid Scale Wind
- Renewable Energy Planning Principles (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Executive Summary (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 1 (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 2 (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 3 (PDF)
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 4 (PDF)