- Remove stems from mushrooms; slice caps into 1/4-inch strips.
- In a saucepan, combine carrot, water, and salt; cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove carrot and cook watercress for 1 minute; remove watercress.
- Add mushrooms, kanpyo, soy sauce, shrimp, and sugar; simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms and kanpyo; cut kanpyo into 8-inch lengths.
- Place a sheet of nori on a bamboo mat; moisten with some of the reserved vinegar mixture from the Sushi Rice.
- Spread with 1 cup of the Sushi Rice, leaving 1 1/2 inches uncovered at farthest end.
- One inch from nearest edge, arrange 5 kanpyo strips and 1 row each of mushrooms, carrot, watercress, and unagi.
- Roll like a jelly roll, lifting mat when it touches rice.
- Continue rolling until nori completely surrounds roll.
- Squeeze gently and press ends within mat.
- Cut into 8 crosswise slices.
Makes 4 rolls or 12 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per roll:
500 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, greater than 1900 mg sodium, 103 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g sugar, 16 g protein
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
170 calories, 1.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 650 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 5 g protein