- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper.
- Tear the bread into large pieces, and place into the bowl.
- Let the bread soak into the egg mixture until fully absorbed (1-2 minutes).
- Mix the ground beef into the egg-bread mixture, and form into 9 patties.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, and fry the hamburger patties until the meat is no longer pink in the center, about 8 minutes per side.
- Turn off stove and place cooked hamburger patties on paper towels and set aside.
- Remove and save the excess grease from the skillet.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat; add flour stirring until combined and golden brown in color (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Slowly whisk in soy sauce, drippings, water and salt and pepper until mixture thickens.
- Place the patties back into the skillet, pour gravy over them, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook about 20 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice or add a fried egg on top to make a loco moco.
Makes 9 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
450 calories, 27 g fat, 13 g saturated fat, 200 mg cholesterol, greater than 1800 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 36 g protein