- To steam sticky rice the traditional method, soak rice in enough water to cover rice for at least one hour or overnight.
- Put water in the bottom of the steamer and cover the steam section with cheese cloth.
- Pour the sticky rice on the cheesecloth, cover with the lid and steam on medium to high heat for about 20 minutes.
- Rice will become translucent when done.
- Set aside in a small dish.
- In a small pot on medium heat, warm up coconut milk.
- Stir constantly and let coconut milk simmer for three minutes.
- Do not over boil or else milk will curdle.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour 3/4 of hot coconut milk over rice.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Rice will absorb all the coconut milk.
- Rice should be a little mushy.
- Spoon additional coconut milk on top of rice at serving time.
- Top with Mango.
Tip: Eating the skin of a mango may cause an allergic reaction exposing your face to urushiol, the toxin in poison ivy that causes the itchy rash.