- Soak mushrooms and long rice in warm water for 20 minutes.
- Remove stems from mushrooms; chop caps.
- Cut long rice into 1 inch lengths.
- Chop shrimp or crab.
- Combine pork, shrimp, mushrooms, long rice, onion, carrot, bean sprouts, pepper and fish sauce; mix well.
- Heat oil to 375°F.
- Combine sugar and water.
- Place rice paper on a flat surface and brush with water until pliable.
- Place 2 teaspoons of filling near the edge of the rice paper; fold paper over the filling.
- Fold the right side over to enclose filling, then fold over left side.
- Continue to roll, then seal.
- Repeat until all rice paper sheets are used.
- Fry rolls, a few at a time, until crisp and golden brown.
- To serve, place a spring roll in a lettuce leaf and top with a sprig of mint and cucumber slices.
- Serve with Spring Roll Sauce.
Makes 48 rolls (24 servings).
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
100 calories, 7 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 4 g protein