- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add onions, lemon zest, ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook until the onions start to turn translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add coriander, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and half the lemon juice, and turn heat to low.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to cook down and the liquid is evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup water every 10 minutes and continue to cook until the onions are thick and golden brown, about 55 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and lemon juice and cook until the brown sugar melts, 3-5 minutes more.
- Season to taste.
Makes 1 1/4 cups.
Tip: To avoid eye irritation or "crying" when peeling onions, chill the onions prior to cutting, then cut them under running water.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per 2 tablespoon serving:
80 calories, 0.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g sugar, 1 g protein