Roast Duck And Apricot Gin Doi
Demonstrated by: Glenn Chu, chef and owner of Indigo Restaurant, sponsored by the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii.
Narcissus Festival Recipes on January 1, 2001.
1 cup diced Chinese-style roast duck
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped chives
2 tablespoons hoi sin sauce (Chinese soybean)
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Combine all ingredients; mix well.
Salad oil for deep frying
1 lb mochiko (glutinous rice flour)
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup gin
1 1/4 cups water
1 cup raw sesame seed
- Heat oil to 360°F.
- In a large bowl, combine mochiko, sugar, and baking powder.
- Combine gin and water; add to flour mixture; mix well.
- Lightly knead dough; divide into 4 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a log; cut each log into 6 equal pieces.
- Flatten each piece and place 1/2 tablespoon of filling in the middle of each piece.
- Fold dough around filling; roll into a ball.
- Roll each ball in sesame seed.
- Fry balls, a few at a time, in hot oil.
- As dumplings rise to the surface of the oil, raise temperature of the oil and press each dumpling to the bottom of the pan.
- Continue stirring to evenly brown the dumplings.
- When dumplings are golden brown, remove from oil and drain.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 24 dumplings.