- Combine all ingredients except lemon juice in a pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice.
- Cool and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, farina or semolina, and baking powder; set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together butter, eggs, vanilla and almond extract.
- Pour butter mixture into flour mixture and mix well.
- Pour into baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and slowly pour cooled syrup over warm cake.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 24 servings.
Tip: Some tasty ways to use almond extract, which is a great alternative for vanilla extract, is to use a few drops in oatmeal, French toast, fruit, and coffee.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per piece:
230 calories, 9 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 25 g sugar, 3 g protein