- Prepare boiling water canner.
- Heat 2 pint glass preserving jars (plus a 1/2 pint jar for overage) in simmering water until ready for use.
- Do not boil.
- Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Wash peppers in cold water; set aside to drain.
- In a medium pot on medium high, bring vinegar, water, salt, and olive oil to a boil; reduce heat and maintain a gentle boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain jars.
- Evenly distribute garlic in hot jars leaving 1/2" headspace.
- Slit each pepper vertically and pack into jars leaving 1/2" headspace.
- Pour hot liquid over peppers allowing slightly more than 1/2" headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if needed, by adding more hot liquid.
- Wipe rim and center lid on jar.
- Apply band until fingertip tight.
- Process jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.
- Remove jars and cool.
- Check lids for seal after 24 hours.
- Lids should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
- Store in cool dark place.
- Ready in 3 weeks.
- Refrigerate after opening.
Makes 2 1/2 pints.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per ounce drained Pepperoncini serving:
20 calories, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 0 g protein