- Peel bananas and soak in cold water until all bananas are peeled.
- Finely grate bananas into a large bowl.
- Stir in 1/2 cup achiote oil and 3 teaspoons of the salt.
- Mix well, cover, and set aside.
- With a mortar and pestle, grind garlic, oregano, and 2 1/2 teaspoons of the remaining salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a saucepot, heat 3 tablespoons of the achiote oil.
- Brown pork with 1 tablespoon of the garlic mixture; cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the round onion, green onion, and parsley.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, chili peppers, and olives.
- Cover and simmer on low for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Oil a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon achiote oil.
- Lay two ti leaves on the bottom of the baking pan.
- Combine banana mixture with pork mixture, pour into prepared pan and cover with the remaining two ti-leaves.
- Cover pan with foil and seal well.
- Place pan into a larger baking pan and place both into preheated oven.
- Pour hot water into the larger pan to a depth of 1-inch.
- Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the center is cooked, adding more hot water to larger pan as needed.
Makes 8 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
560 calories, 37 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 75 mg cholesterol, greater than 2000 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 27 g protein