- In a large sauce pot, brown oxtail pieces in 3 tablespoons of the oil.
- Remove oxtail pieces; drain.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil with achiote seeds for 2 minutes; strain and discard seeds.
- Saute onion and garlic in the achiote oil.
- Add oxtail pieces, 2 quarts of the water, and the salt; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours; skim excess fat.
- In a small skillet, toast rice over low heat until rice is golden brown.
- Put rice into a blender; cover and blend to a powder.
- Empty blender and put peanuts into blender; cover and blend until peanuts are finely ground.
- Add rice powder, ground peanuts, eggplants, beans, and the remaining 1 quart of water to the stew.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat and cook 15 more minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
750 calories, 34 g fat, 10 g saturated fat, 155 mg cholesterol, greater than 1000 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 62 g protein