- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Remove; drain on paper towels.
- Cook and stir mushrooms, onion and peppers in bacon drippings until tender.
- Remove to a small bowl; cool completely.
- Stir in bacon.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, steak sauce and seasoned salt, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into 16 thin patties.
- Top eight of the patties with cheese, folding cheese to fit within 3/4 inch of edge.
- Spread with mushroom mixture.
- Top with remaining patties, pressing edges to enclose filling.
- Grill burgers, uncovered, over medium-high heat or broil 4 inches from heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until well done.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
Tip: Don’t press down on a hamburger patty while cooking. Pressing the patty squeezes all the juice out causing a dry burger.
Tip: To keep your burger moist when grilling, place a small ice cube in the middle of your patty. As it cooks, the ice cube melts and distributes moisture through the burger.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
420 calories, 20 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 90 mg cholesterol, 550 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 32 g protein