Molokai Sweet Potato-Lemongrass Bisque
Featured in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser on August 7, 2013.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup sweet onions, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
2 pounds (about 6 cups) Molokai sweet potato (available at farmers' markets), chopped into 1" cubes
1 cup carrots, chopped
3 stalks lemongrass, outer layers and green leaves removed, bulbs split open
2 Kaffir lime leaves, torn (may substitute with 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice)
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cups canned coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add onions.
- Cook about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic, ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, lemongrass, and Kaffir lime leaves.
- Add broth and enough water to cover contents and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass and kaffir limes leaves.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups broth, then add the coconut milk, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Blend in a blender until smooth.
- Add more broth if too thick, to create desired consistency.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Makes 4 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
290 calories, 7 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 440 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 5 g protein