- Wash and soak rice for 45 minutes.
- Add oil to saucepan and cook onions until golden brown.
- Add butter, salt, sugar, cumin and peas.
- Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the 3 cups of water and saffron to mixture and bring to a boil; let boil for 2 minutes.
- Drain water from rice and add to mixture.
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling, without the lid on the saucepan, until the water level is below the rice and there are "holes" or indentations in the surface of the rice.
- Cover the saucepan with the lid, reduce heat to low and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for another 3 minutes.
- Serve with a vegetable or a meat dish.
Makes 6 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including optional butter):
240 calories, 14 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 2 g protein
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (including optional butter):
270 calories, 18 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 520 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 2 g protein