- Scrub the skins of the potatoes to remove excess dirt.
- Place potatoes and water in a large saucepan, add the 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Boil the potatoes until soft, about 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, mix together the mayonnaise, eggs, and onion in a large bowl; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, and vinegar; sprinkle with salt, and lomi or knead the cucumbers and tomatoes until the cucumbers start to soften and release water.
- Squeeze the liquid from the cucumbers and tomatoes, add it to the mayonnaise mixture together with the ham; mix well; set aside.
- Drain the potatoes, peel, and mash.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the potatoes while the potatoes are still warm; mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste):
350 calories, 20 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 145 mg cholesterol, greater than 1000 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 10 g protein