- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown meat and garlic, adding 1 tablespoon salad oil if meat is very lean.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Cut carrots obliquely by making diagonal slices and cut each potato into 6 pieces.
- Add the 2 quarts water, the tomato sauce and carrots to meat.
- Bring to a boil and cook rapidly for about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, lower heat, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Cut onion into wedges; cut celery obliquely.
- Stir into stew; cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in soy sauce.
- Mix flour with the 1 cup water.
- Stir into stew.
- Cook until gravy thickens, stirring constantly.
Makes 8 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per beef serving:
550 calories, 22 g fat, 9 g saturated fat, 105 mg cholesterol, greater than 1500 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 35 g protein
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per chicken serving:
490 calories, 11 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 105 mg cholesterol, greater than 1500 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 42 g protein