- Put butter, onion, garlic, and ginger into a 2-quart casserole.
- Stirring occasionally, microwave on high power for 4 minutes or until onion is transparent.
- Stir in curry powder, flour, and salt.
- Slowly add coconut milk and broth, stirring constantly.
- Stirring frequently, microwave on medium power for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Add shrimp or chicken; cover.
- Stirring occasionally, microwave on medium power for 2 to 4 more minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
- To cook on electric range: In a saucepan, melt butter and saute onion, garlic, and ginger until tender.
- Add curry powder, flour, and salt. Gradually stir in coconut milk and broth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in shrimp or chicken; heat until shrimp is cooked or chicken is heated through.
- Serve with rice and any or all of these condiments: Chutney, chopped green onions, shredded toasted coconut, chopped hard-cooked eggs, chopped nuts, chopped raisins, and crisp crumbled bacon.
Approximate nutrient analysis per serving (using shrimp and frozen coconut milk, not including condiments):
350 calories, 22 g fat, 16 g saturated fat, 195 mg cholesterol, 950 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 26 g protein