- Season meat with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot; add onion slices.
- Saute until onion is softened.
- Add meat and brown on all sides.
- When browned, add a cup of water to pot and parboil on medium to low until meat is softened.
- Add more water to keep the meat parboiling.
- When meat is tender, add water to level at least 2-3 inches above meat mixture; and sprinkle with Hawaiian salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chopped cabbage and tomato sauce.
- Stir ingredients together and adjust seasonings until cabbage is softened.
Makes 6 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste):
280 calories, 9 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 36 g protein