- Wash rice and drain; set aside.
- Sprinkle pork with 1/2 teaspoon of the adobo seasoning.
- In a large sauce pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the achiote oil.
- Add pork and cook until browned.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté until browned.
- Add parsley, green onions, and Sazon Goya seasoning; cook until tender.
- Add tomato sauce, gandule beans, olives with liquid, the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons adobe seasoning, pepper, salt, and chicken broth; stir to combine ingredients.
- Stir in rice, lower heat, cover and simmer for about 1/2 hour, stir, then simmer for about another 1/2 hour.
- Alternatively, instead of cooking the rice on the range, after adding rice to the bean mixture, place covered Dutch oven in the oven, bake at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour; stir.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and continue baking for another 1/2 hour, covered, stirring occasionally.
Note: Adobo seasoning and Sazon Goya seasoning are available in the Asian section of grocery stores or in Latin grocery stores.
Makes about 20 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
330 calories, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, greater than 1400 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 12 g protein