- In a blender, beat eggs with sugar, add lemon zest and vanilla.
- Boil milk with the 1/4 pound melted butter.
- Slowly add farina, stirring rapidly so it doesn't lump.
- Stir for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- In the blender, slowly add 1/2 of farina mixture to the egg mixture constantly beating until eggs warm up.
- Pour mixture from blender into pan containing the remaining farina.
- Stir mixture over low heat until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Melt 1/2 pound butter.
- Cut filo lengthwise in thirds.
- Working with one filo sheet at a time, brush filo with butter and fold up one-third.
- Add 1 tablespoon farina mixture, fold sides of filo toward center, then roll up to end of filo.
- Brush with butter and line cookie sheet.
- Repeat, using up all the filo.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350°F or until puffed and golden.
- In a saucepot, combine sugar, water, lemon, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the 1 tablespoon honey.
- Cool syrup; pour over hot rolls and serve.
Makes 24 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
300 calories, 15 g fat, 9 g saturated fat, 85 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 27 g sugar, 4 g protein