- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch tomatoes for 20 seconds; rinse under cold water and peel.
- Cut in half, remove seeds, and dice; set aside.
- In a large heavy saute pan, heat olive oil on medium-high heat; add eggplants and zucchini; saute until slightly brown, stirring constantly; set aside.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add onions, bell pepper and garlic; mix well and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add eggplant and zucchini; season with salt, pepper, sugar and herbs; mix well.
- Braise on low heat uncovered for about 1 hour, stirring regularly.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste):
150 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 5 g protein