- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and dried red pepper.
- Cover and cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and vinegar.
- Cook uncovered until onions are very tender and mixture is thick, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cool completely.
- Can be prepared 4 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.
- Serve with fresh bread or crackers.
Makes 2 cups.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per 2 Tablespoon serving (not including salt to taste):
60 calories, 3.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 0 g protein