- In a large bowl, combine lamb, onion, rice, parsley, eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Place one teaspoon of the lamb mixture on underside of a grapevine leaf.
- Start at the base of the leaf and fold over, then fold sides in rolling up tightly toward the point of the leaf.
- Continue stuffing the grapevine leaves until all of the filling mixture is used.
- Line saucepan with any remaining leaves.
- Layer dolmathes in saucepan and cover with broth or water.
- Weigh down dolmathes with a small heat-proof dish that’s large enough to cover saucepan area.
- Cover saucepan tightly.
- Cook over low heat until rice is tender (about 45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Reserve stock for use in the Avgolemono Sauce (see recipe below).
- In a small saucepan, bring stock to a boil.
- In a bowl, beat eggs until frothy; add lemon juice.
- Slowly add some stock to egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return egg mixture to saucepan, stirring constantly over low heat until thickened.
- Do not allow mixture to boil or sauce will curdle.
- Add Avgolemono Sauce slowly to the saucepan of dolmathes, shaking saucepan carefully.
Makes 6 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste):
500 calories, 32 g fat, 13 g saturated fat, 250 mg cholesterol, greater than 2000 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber,2 g sugar, 29 g protein