- Place entire roasted chicken into crock pot.
- Add the rice, water, and ginger.
- If desired, add peanuts and gingko nuts.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Shred the chicken and remove any bones.
- Season with salt if needed.
- Serve with condiments of your choice.
Makes 10 servings.
Note: This is an easy way to use leftovers from a Costco or Sam's roasted chicken, using a 5 1/2 quart or larger crockpot. Since the chicken is so well seasoned, very little additional seasoning is needed. The secret to making any kind of jook is the ratio of rice to water. Use a 1:8 ratio--it never fails.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste or other optional ingredients):
150 calories, 1.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 30 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 11 g protein