- In a small saucepan combine soy sauce, mirin, and sugar.
- On high heat, bring ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook on medium for 5-7 minutes or until sauce thickens to the consistency of syrup.
- Stir sesame oil into the dipping sauce; set aside.
Ahi Poke Roll-Ups:
- On a clean surface, place a sheet of nori, textured side up.
- Firmly pat a thin even layer of rice on the nori, leaving a 2-inch border on one side (to seal).
- Place one heaping teaspoon of poke in the center of the rice.
- Pick up the edge of the nori with rice and fold it over the poke.
- Continue rolling tightly until you have a compact cylinder.
- Set assembled rolls on the side.
- In a medium pot or deep fryer, preheat oil to 325°F.
- Gently mix tempura batter and ice water.
- Dip assembled rolls into batter and place in the deep fryer.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from the fryer; place on a paper towel to cool.
- Cut the rolls in half, on the diagonal, and serve immediately with the Kabayaki dipping sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
220 calories, 11 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol,125 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 12 g protein