- Drain liquid from beets and reserve 1 cup beet juice; set aside.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until tender-crisp. Add potato and garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Add beets and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until potato is tender; cool slightly.
- Stir in the reserved beet juice, dill and black pepper.
- Place half of the broth mixture into a blender.
- Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a medium bowl.
- Repeat the blending process with the remaining broth mixture.
- Serve hot or cold with sour cream.
Makes 8 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including sour cream):
80 calories, 3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 2 g protein