- Preheat electric oven to 425°F.
- Grease a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut butter into to the dry mixture with a pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the orange zest, cranberries and walnuts and gently stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk and juice to the mixture and fold in until everything is incorporated.
- Gather the dough together and place on a floured work surface.
- Knead the dough gently about 10 times.
- Divide the dough in half and pat each piece into a circle about 6-inches in diameter and ½-inch thick.
- Cut each circle into 8 pie-shaped wedges.
- Place scones at least 1-inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Glaze each scone and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and puffy.
Makes 16 servings.
Tip: If you don't have buttermilk you can substitute a mixture of 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Combine milk and lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes before using.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
200 calories, 11 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 3 g protein