- Rinse corned beef and place in a large pot.
- Add enough water to cover beef and add spice packet.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 4 hours or until beef is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp.
- Drain on paper towel-lined plate, retaining fat in skillet.
- Add vegetables to skillet in batches; cook over medium-high heat until brown but not tender.
- When beef is very tender, transfer to a serving platter and cover with foil, retaining cooking liquid.
- Add potatoes to the simmering liquid; cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add carrots, onion, celery and cabbage and let simmer for about 15 minutes more or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Transfer and arrange vegetables on serving platter.
- Top with bacon and serve with mustard.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
550 calories, 35 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 140 mg cholesterol, 1500 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 30 g protein