- Cover eggs with water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Drain and cool eggs in cold water.
- When eggs are cooled, drain water.
- Gently tap each egg with the back of a spoon to crack shells while keeping shells intact; set aside.
- Place the ginger, tea leaves, Chinese five spice, star anise, and cinnamon stick into a 6-inch square of cheesecloth; tie with string.
- Fill a saucepot with 8 cups of water; add the spice bag, soy sauce, sugar, and Hawaiian salt.
- Bring to a boil, add eggs, bring back to a boil and simmer for one hour.
- Remove from heat and let the eggs cool in the liquid.
- Refrigerate eggs in liquid for one week to allow the spices and seasoning to permeate the eggs.
Makes 12 Servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
90 calories, 5 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 200 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 7 g protein