- Place garlic and salt in a mortar and grind with the pestle until a coarse, grainy paste.
- Scrape into a large bowl.
- Add chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice and tahini.
- Use a potato masher to create a thick, smooth, creamy spread.
- Scrape into a serving bowl or small plate and dust with rosemary and sage before serving.
Makes 9 servings.
Fresh chickpeas can be used instead of using canned:
- Soak the beans overnight and place them in a slow cooker with water and salt to taste.
- Use 32 ounces of water per 1 cup of dried chickpeas.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or until tender.
- Drain excess liquid.
Makes 3 cups.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
170 calories, 11 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 5 g protein