- In a saute pan, heat oil.
- Add garlic, onion and ginger and cook for 30 seconds over medium heat.
- Add chicken and saute until chicken meat turns white.
- Add fish sauce.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is almost completely cooked, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add water and fish sauce to taste.
- Add chayote and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve over hot rice.
Makes 2 servings.
Tip: Uncooked chayote may secrete a sticky substance that may irritate your skin when peeling. Consider using gloves, oil your hands, or peel under water.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (based on 3 Tbsp fish sauce to taste and not including hot rice):
610 calories, 37 g fat, 9 g saturated fat, 165 mg cholesterol, greater than 2000 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 56 g protein