- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, seed and devein peppers, boil 4 - 5 minutes, just until tender.
- Drain well and align in baking dish, set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large and deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until golden about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer, transfer onion mixture to a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet, add chicken, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, paprika and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add tomatoes, onion mixture, black beans, corn, cooked brown rice, remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, cilantro, lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook just until heated through.
- Add a heaping 1/2 cup of the mixture to each pepper half (and slightly press filling to fit).
- Pour enough water into bottom of baking dishes to reach 1/8-inch in height (careful not to pour it in peppers).
- Cover baking dishes with foil and bake 30-35 minutes, until peppers are soft.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle tops evenly with cheese then return to oven to bake until cheese has melted, about 3 minutes longer.
- Serve warm topped with more cilantro, sour cream and hot sauce if desired.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per half pepper (not including sour cream and extra hot sauce):
210 calories, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 16 g protein