- If using arugula, blanch by bringing a pot of water to a boil.
- Wash arugula thoroughly and prepare a large bowl of ice water.
- Place arugula in a large strainer or sieve and plunge it into boiling water.
- Blanch for about 15 seconds; remove.
- Shake off excess water, then plunge arugula into ice water bowl; stir so it cools as fast as possible.
- Drain well.
- If using basil, wash and shake off excess water to dry.
- Place arugula on a few paper towels; roll and squeeze out excess water, until very dry.
- Chop arugula roughly; add to blender.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper to taste, olive oil, and macadamia nuts.
- Blend for 30 seconds.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese; pulse for another 30 seconds.
- Pesto will keep for several days in sealed container if stored in refrigerator.
- Serve at room temperature on crackers or warm on pasta.
- Garnish with remaining nuts and cheese.
Makes 4 cups.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per 1/4 cup serving (not including salt to taste):
200 calories, 21 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 2 g protein