- In a deep frying pan, pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and 1 teaspoon salt; then whisk in ginger ale.
- Dip pumpkin wedges in batter, allowing excess batter to drip off.
- Gently lower pumpkin into hot oil, using tongs.
- Fry pumpkin, in 3 batches, 3-4 minutes or until tender inside and light brown outside, turning once.
- Place fried pumpkin on a wire rack in a baking pan; season with salt.
- Place peeled garlic on a cutting board; smash garlic, using flat side of knife, to make a paste.
- Whisk together garlic, yogurt, buttermilk, hot sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Serve yogurt mixture with fried pumpkin.
Makes 8 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (based on approximately 1 cup serving):
560 calories, 29 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 1300 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 23 g protein