- Cut two 10-inch circles of parchment paper.
- Use one to line a 10-inch round cake pan and reserve the other piece.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the bacon, cheese, and chives and toss together with the dry ingredients until evenly distributed.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Add the cream to the mixture and stir by hand just until the batter is evenly moistened.
- Place the dough in the lined cake pan and press into an even layer.
- Cover the dough with the second parchment paper circle.
- Freeze until very firm, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Thaw the dough for 5 minutes at room temperature; turn it out of the cake pan onto a cutting board.
- Cut the dough into equal pieces and place the individual pieces on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-40 minutes.
- Cool the scones on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.
- Serve scones warm or at room temperature.
- You may freeze them for up to 4 weeks.
Makes 8 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
550 calories, 31 g fat, 18 g saturated fat, 110 mg cholesterol, greater than 1100 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g sugar, 16 g protein