- In a heavy skillet, cook bacon until crisp; crumble; set aside.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot on high heat, boil potatoes, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Potatoes should still be a little firm and not mushy.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, drain, and cool down with cold tap water.
- Cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In the same skillet, reheat the bacon fat with the tablespoon of butter between medium-medium low heat.
- Saute the diced shallot for 5 minutes until soft, then add the green pepper and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the thyme, salt, pepper and potatoes.
- Stir once and continue to cook the hash stirring occasionally for about 10-15 more minutes or until potatoes are cooked all the way through.
- Lastly, add crumbled bacon pieces; toss and serve with two fried eggs on the top.
Makes 4 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (without eggs and not including salt to taste):
660 calories, 53 g fat, 18 g saturated fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 1400 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 24 g protein