- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Poke eggplants in several places with a fork.
- Cut eggplants in half lengthwise and brush the cut sides lightly with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place on a baking sheet, cut side down, and roast until very tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove and cool for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, scoop out eggplant flesh; mash well with a fork.
- Combine eggplant, remaining olive oil, garlic, tahini, cumin, lemon juice (about 2 tablespoons), salt and a pinch of cayenne to taste.
- Mash well until somewhat smooth but still retaining some of the eggplant's texture.
- Cool to room temperature; season to taste with additional lemon juice, salt, and cayenne.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve with pita bread.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste):
150 calories, 11 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 3 g protein