- Mix shoyu, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, and peppercorns in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat for one minute; set aside.
- Bring the water, ginger, and onion to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Lower heat to a simmer and add chicken.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let chicken sit in liquid for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from stock, cool, then shred.
- Place chicken in a bowl, add a little stock to keep moist, then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place a chunk of cucumber under the broad part of a kitchen knife.
- Lightly crush cucumber by carefully hitting the blade with your fist.
- Repeat with remaining pieces.
- Place lettuce on a serving platter.
- Arrange a layer of cucumbers around lettuce.
- Remove the cold chicken from the stock and place it down in the center of the platter.
- Surround the chicken with tomato wedges and top it with green onions and optional Chinese parsley.
- In a small pan, heat sesame oil over medium heat until bubbles appear.
- Turn off heat and pour oil evenly over green onions, Chinese parsley and chicken; set aside.
- In small bowl combine vinaigrette ingredients, strain and drizzle it over the salad.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 6 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste):
230 calories, 12 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 55 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 21 g protein