- Prepare artichokes by breaking stem and twist to remove any tough fibers.
- Trim base to make it stand upright.
- Trim points from all the leaves and wash well.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with the lemon slice and bay leaf; add salt and artichokes.
- Cook for about 25 minutes over medium heat until it can be easily pierced with a knife.
- Whisk egg yolks with salt, pepper, and pureed garlic.
- Slowly add one third of oil a little at a time and whisk to emulsify.
- When sauce begins to firm and thicken, add a few drops of lemon juice to thin and add remaining oil to desired thickness.
- Adjust seasonings and add more lemon juice if needed.
- When artichokes are ready, remove from water and let drain upside down on a paper towel.
- Serve with sauce garnished with parsley.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste):
330 calories, 30 g fat, 4.5 g saturated fat, 90 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 5 g protein