Our Privacy Principles
- We will not sell, rent, or license your personal information.
- We treat personal information as confidential, consistent with legal and regulatory requirements.
- We will only share your information with your consent, or as provided for in this policy.
- We require any person or organization with which we do business to protect the personal information we share.
- We do not allow any person or organization acting on our behalf to use information we collect for its own marketing purposes.
Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions describing how we use and protect the information we collect about job candidates.
What information do we collect?
The term "personal information" in this policy refers to information that can identify you and sensitive information related to you. Examples include:
- Identification data, such as your name combined with contact details;
- Job history data, such as your resume, work history, references, and salary expectations;
- Residency and work permit status, union membership, military status, nationality, and government identification numbers;
- Information about your skills, including technical proficiencies, educational background, professional certifications and registrations, language capabilities, and training;
- Information about physical limitations or special needs related to employment and information related to Equal Employment Opportunity reporting, such as gender and ethnicity;
- Information from any interviews and/or phone-screenings;
- Information related to any assessment you may take as part of the interview screening process;
- Data collected by third parties on our behalf, including the results of background checks, drug and alcohol testing, vehicle registration and driving history, and any assessments, competency or aptitude tests and
- Technical data collected by the operator of our Careers website (SuccessFactors).
How do we use the information we collect?
Any personal information collected (i) will be used to process your application for the specific position you applied for; (ii) may be used to process your application for other open positions that may be suitable to you; and (iii) may be retained for consideration on other similar positions.
If you are offered and accept employment with Hawaiian Electric, the personal information collected during the application process will become part of your employment record.
How do we ensure the information is secure?
We take the security of your personal information very seriously. We apply administrative, physical, and technical precautions to safeguard personal information. In accordance with industry standards, we operate with restricted access to data, and we have implemented commercially appropriate security controls to protect the data when it is stored or transmitted. While no computer system is completely secure, we believe the measures we have implemented reduce the likelihood of security problems to a level appropriate for the type of data involved.
Do we share the information we collect?
We may contract with service providers as part of our normal business to carry out Human Resources or Information Technology functions. We require any person or organization we do business with to protect the personal information we share with them. We do not allow anyone acting on our behalf to use your personal information for their own purposes.
Disclosure of personal information to government agencies may be required for the purpose of complying with applicable laws and regulations or in response to legal process. We may need to disclose information in certain exceptional circumstances to protect against malicious and/or unauthorized access, to protect legal rights, or to address actual or threatened illegal or harmful conduct.
How do we keep data accurate?
Changes to this Policy
This policy may be amended from time to time. We will post any changes to this policy here with an updated effective date. This policy supersedes all prior policies of the same or similar subject.
Effective Date: August 2018