Our Vision & Commitment
Microgrid Services Tariff
The Public Utilities Commission, in Order No. 36481, created two working groups: a Market Facilitation Working Group and an Interconnection Standards Working Group.
The Market Facilitation Working Group will work towards:
- Draft Microgrid Services Tariff ("MGS Tariff") language to enable microgrids that provide backup power during grid outages
- Proposed compensation for the use of the Hawaiian Electric Companies' distribution system, if necessary
- Recommendations to modify existing programs, and/or new programs or services, if necessary, to support microgrid development
- Justification for compensation for clearly demonstrated benefits to non-participants, if necessary
The Interconnection Standards Working Group will work to draft language modifying Rule 14H regarding interconnection and islanding/reconnection of microgrids. The proposed interconnection changes should support microgrid and backup power applications under existing tariffs and the MGS Tariff. Consistent with Act 200, the new section of Rule 14H should standardize and streamline interconnection requirements and processes for existing and new microgrids.
- October 14, 2019: Working group symposium scheduled from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. HST.
- October 3, 2019: Working group kickoff held from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. HST.
- August 20, 2019: PUC issued Order No. 36481.
- January 22, 2019: PUC issued Order No. 36106.
- January 9, 2019: PUC held a technical conference.
- July 10, 2018: Governor Ige signed Act 200 into law. PUC issued Order No. 35566 opening docket No. 2018-0163.
Microgrid Services Tariff Documents
- October 3, 2019: Hawaiian Electric Working Group Kickoff Presentation
- September 19, 2019: PUC Microgrid Technical Conference
Hawaii Public Utilities Commission Orders
- PUC Letter re: Microgrid Technical Conference (Docket No. 2018-0163, September 3, 2019)
- Order No. 36481: Prioritize items for resolution in this docket and making determinations on issues raised by the preliminary questions in Order No. 35884 (Docket No. 2018-0163, August 20, 2019)
- Order No. 36106: Provides additional guidance for opening briefs and extending deadline for reply briefs (Docket No. 2018-0163, January 22, 2019)
- Order No. 35884: Grants the motions to intervene, scheduling technical conferences, and setting deadlines (Docket No. 2018-0163, November 21, 2018)
- Order No. 35566: Opens a docket to investigate establishment of a microgrid services tariff (Docket No. 2018-0163, July 10, 2018)
Microgrid Services Tariff Contact Information
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.