Energy Storage (ES)
Use chemical, mechanical or thermal processes to capture electricity or heat for use later or to manage short-duration events that support the utility grid.
Install energy storage capable of storing excess energy that is properly controlled and coordinated with the utility and allows integration of more distributed energy resources.
Install energy storage that provides grid services to Hawaiian Electric, such as operating reserves, ramp smoothing, frequency control, and voltage control.
Develop and install smart and adaptable energy storage technologies with, but not limited to, the following characteristics:
- Flexible grid-connected and/or stand-alone
- Integrated with intelligent machine-learning algorithms for control and operation
- Multiple monitoring, control, and protection attributes
- Provides multiple ancillary services in grid-connected and islanded modes
- Able to respond during both transient and steady state conditions.