- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture to form crumbs; mix in fruit and almonds; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cheese, egg, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Combine wet with dry ingredients, mixing until most of the flour is moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead two or three times, until it holds together.
- Divide in half.
- Roll each piece into an 8-by-7-inch oval about 1/2 inch thick.
- Fold each piece in half, leaving the edge of the top half about 1/2 inch short of the edge of the bottom half.
- Press the top edge of the dough into the bottom edge to form a traditional stollen shape.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned around edges, about 40 minutes.
- A toothpick inserted in center should come out clean.
- Remove from oven; transfer to a rack.
- Brush each with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar.
- Repeat with remaining butter and sugar.
- Wrap in plastic wrap until ready to serve.
Makes 2 loaves.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per slice (based on 8 slices per loaf):
250 calories, 13 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g sugar, 5 g protein