- In large bowl, place the carrot and daikon and sprinkle with salt and 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Use your hands to knead the vegetables for about 3 minutes, expelling the water from them.
- They will soften and liquid will pool at the bottom of the bowl.
- Stop kneading when you can bend a piece of daikon so that the ends touch but the daikon does not break.
- The vegetables should have lost about one-fourth of their volume.
- Drain and rinse under cold running water, then press gently to expel extra water.
- Place vegetables in a quart-sized jar.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1/2 cup sugar, vinegar, and water; stir to dissolve.
- Pour over vegetables.
- The brine should cover the vegetables.
- Let the vegetables marinate in the brine for at least 1 hour before eating.
- Vegetables will keep refrigerated for up to 4 weeks.
Makes about 3 cups.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
45 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 0 g protein