- Heat half-and-half in a double boiler over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and egg yolks until yolks turn thick and pale.
- Temper yolks by gradually adding the hot half-and-half mixture a cup at a time while whisking vigorously so as not to cook the eggs.
- Return mixture to the double boiler and whisk over simmering water until slightly thickened and heated through, 10-15 minutes.
- Dilute tapioca starch with remaining 2 tablespoons half-and-half and add to mixture.
- Continue whisking to a custard consistency that coats the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer custard to a heatproof bowl and whisk in azuki bean paste.
- Set over an ice bath and refrigerate overnight (or at least 12 hours).
- Pour custard into an ice cream maker and process the custard according to manufacturer's instructions, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze.
Makes 10 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
290 calories, 13 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 110 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 7 g protein