- Preheat oven to 350° F or prepare your greased grill.
- If using the electric oven line a roasting pan with foil and set aside.
- In a medium sized non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté shallots and apples for 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients, bring to boil and then lower to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until apples are very soft, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the filling mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving the liquid.
- Spread the filling mixture on the roast, leaving a 1/2-inch border from the edges.
- Starting with the short side of the roast, roll it up very tightly.
- Secure with kitchen twine at 1-inch intervals.
- Cook for 45-60 minutes or until the internal temperature of the pork roast is 160° F, making sure to read the temperature of the meat only and not the stuffing.
- Return the liquid from the filling to the saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup and thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, set aside and reserve this liquid for use as a glaze.
- Place roast in a roasting pan, place in oven, on the middle rack.
- When the roast is fully cooked brush half of the glaze on the top and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place roast, fat side up.
- Place the lid on the grill, turn roast half way through the cooking.
- Cook for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Brush with half of the glaze and cook for 5 minutes longer.
Once pork roast is done:
- When done remove the roast from the oven or grill and cover with foil for 15 minutes before slicing.
- Slice into 1/2-inch wide pieces.
- Remove the cooking twine and serve with remaining glaze.
Makes 6 servings
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
320 calories, 5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 100 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g sugar, 32 g protein