Energy Assist Programs
- How to Pay Your Bill
- Start, Stop or Move Service
- Understanding Your Bill
- Rates & Regulations
- Customer Newsletter
- Energy Assist Programs
Bill payment help for low-income households
LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) is a federal program that provides qualifying low-income households with a one-time credit to offset household energy costs. Applicants may apply, once per program year, for one of two types of credit: Energy Credit (EC) or Emergency Crisis Intervention (ECI).
In addition, residential customers who receive a LIHEAP credit will be auto-enrolled in our Tier Waiver Provision program for 12 months. This program applies the lowest tiered rate to the non-fuel energy charge on a customer’s electric bill.
Energy Credit (EC)
Applications are only accepted during the month of June. The amount of the credit varies each year and is based on the total number of people living in the house. Applicants must have an active electric account and are required to submit a current electric bill.
Emergency Crisis Intervention (ECI)
Applications are accepted throughout the year. The ECI credit is a fixed amount. Applicants must meet the same criteria as required by those applying for the Energy Credit, except that a Notice of Disconnection must be submitted instead of a current electric bill.
You must present:
- Your most recent electric bill.
- Proof you occupy the service address on the bill.
- Social Security numbers of all household members older than 1 year old.
- ID for all adult members.
- Proof of citizenship status.
- Proof of gross annual income to one of the following Honolulu Community Action Program (HCAP) offices from June 1 to June 30. HCAP will determine whether you qualify.
For more information, go to hcapweb.org/liheap or call the HCAP office nearest you:
HCAP Central: 488-6834
HCAP Kalihi/Palama: 847-0804
HCAP Leahi: 732-7755
HCAP Leeward: 696-4261
HCAP Windward: 239-5754