- How to Pay Your Bill
- Understanding Your Bill
- Fraud Prevention
- Customer Newsletters
- Rates & Regulations
- Payment Assistance
H-HEAP (Formerly LIHEAP)
Bill payment help for low-income households
H-HEAP (Hawaii Home Energy Assistance Program) is a federal program that provides heating and/or cooling assistance to needy households by assisting with a one-time payment toward their electric or gas bill. Applicants may apply, once per program year, for one of two types of credit: Energy Credit (EC) or Emergency Crisis Intervention (ECI).
In addition, residential customers on Rate Schedule R who receive a H-HEAP credit will be auto-enrolled in our Tier Waiver Provision program for 12 months. This program applies the lowest tiered rate to the non-fuel energy charge on a customer’s electric bill. Residential Time of Use customers are not eligible for the Tier Waiver Provision program.
Energy Credit (EC)
Energy Credit (EC) assists needy households who are not in crisis but need assistance with bill payment for the heating and cooling of their residence.
Applications for EC are only accepted June 1-30.
Emergency Crisis Intervention (ECI)
Energy Crisis Intervention (ECI) assists needy households in crisis, the electric or gas service has been or will be disconnected, and the household has been notified via a disconnection notice from the utility company.
Applications for ECI are accepted year-round, but the number of approvals each month are limited and fill quickly.
You must present:
- Your most recent electric bill.
- Proof you occupy the service address on the bill.
- Social Security numbers of all household members older than 1 year old.
- ID for all adult members.
- Proof of citizenship status.
- Proof of gross annual income to one of the following offices from June 1 to June 30. They will determine whether you qualify.
- Oahu: Honolulu Community Action Program (HCAP)
- Maui County: Maui Economic Opportunity (MEO)
- Hawaii Island: Hawaii County Economic Opportunity Council (HCEOC)
HCAP (Oahu) will only accept in-person applications this year. Mail-in and email applications will not be accepted.
For more information, please contact one of the following: